Titles have never been my strong suit.
I have been completely fortunate to be able to travel this year and have mobility monetarily and physically to do so.
I have been battling internally with the privilege I have, that has allowed me to travel. I live in a community that does not always have the opportunity to go to other countries, or even other states within Mexico. Many people in my community were asking me to put them in my luggage, and they actually seemed slightly serious.
Normally my host family has been able to travel and see other parts of the country, but do to personal changes in their lives that is no longer posible. My host family is amazing and very supportive of my trip to Oaxaca or other solo trips I have in mind. Though they are not able to go themselves, they encouraged me to go and listen to me for weeks talk about the things I was going to do and the places I was going to go.
I am also fortunate to have a worksite that is equaly excited for me to see more of their country. I have been asked many times by my coworkers where I will or have gone over long breaks or weekends, and have disappointed them when I tell them, I have no plans or did not go anywhere.
All in all I can come to no conclusion but to acknowlegde my privilege to travel, and for a host of other things. I cannot change it, nor change the situation of those around me. My next step is to walk with my community, I do not have much time left here in Mexico but the metaphorical sidewalk we walk now will not end in July. The people I have met, have impacted my life in a lasting way. My privilege has allowed me to meet them, and to learn from them. Lessons like appreciating time spent just sitting together, or filling a need where it is needed whether that need is large and takes a life time or a small need that can offered and completed in an afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment